Friday, December 10, 2004

Not The Sharpest Knife

Time only for a short post (common lately). Here's one reason I'm not so smart: I buy lottery tickets. Some would say I could end the post right there and the evidence would be sufficient to back up the statement. BUT, not only do I buy NY Lotto and MegaMillions, I also buy scratch-off tickets. The need for instant gratification is in my genes. So usually, if I spend $5 on the numbers (Lotto Wed & Sat, Mega Tue & Fri), I'll also spend $5 on scratch-offs. I don't select particular games, I always just tell the guy, "mix 'em up however you like." I've never won anything big, but over my career, I've hit $20 a few times, $40 at least once and one $50 win (that was in GA, however).

The past few months, I haven't won a thing. Not even a $1 or $2 bone have they thrown me. I decided I had to do something, it was getting ridiculous. What would you have done?
Right, because you're halfway intelligent. Instead, I decided today that I must be losing because I'm only buying the cheap scratch-off tix. Today, instead of telling the guy to give me "2 2s and a 1," I bought one of the $5 tickets. They can't stiff the high rollers, right? All over the little store across from my office is evidence of people winning $1000, $500, even some $5000 wins. Guess what happened. Have I learned my lesson? Maybe. But I'd say the odds are decent that, when I run out to get lunch tomorrow, I come back with a $10 scratch-off. Moron.

In Florida this weekend for the engagement party of my oldest bestest friend in the world. Saturday morning golf. We needed a fourth, and I drafted Big Pinz. So, if you live anywhere near Delray Beach, board up your windows like there was a hurricane coming.