Sunday, October 17, 2004

Fleeting Thoughts on Courtesy/Niceness

Last night, my oldest and best friend in the world was in from Florida with his fiancee. We went out to Jersey, where his brother and his brother's girlfriend were having a little party at their place. I had an incredible time - so much fun. We truly are talking about my best friend, and one of my all around favorite people in the world. I also happen to be a huge fan of his fiancee, as well as his brother and (especially) his brother's girlfriend. But how much fun I had was not the point. He and the fiancee were staying over at his brother's place, and we had taken a bus out there (which could be a whole 'nother post), so I needed a way back to NYC. My friend arranged for one of his brother's friends, who was driving back into the city anyway, to give me a ride. If any of this sounds ungrateful, you're totally taking it the wrong way. It was incredibly nice for this guy to offer me -- someone he'd never met before -- a ride home. Especially when you consider that I was the 6th passenger in a car that could barely fit 5 comfortably. The very guy whose car it was sat in the back with his fiancee on his lap (and she hit her head on the roof a couple of times - I felt awful). It would never occur to me though to take someone almost home. They were heading to Tribeca; I live in Chelsea. We took the Lincoln Tunnel. By all accounts, my apartment is on the way, or at least on A way, to where they were going. I live at X Street and Y Avenue. Y + 1 Avenue runs downtown, into the heart of Tribeca. This guy said to me "We'll just drop you off at X and Y +3, OK?" Now, it WAS OK. Really. I love to walk, 3 Avenue blocks is not that far, and despite the fact that the walk takes you past some of the pro-o-jects and it was after midnight, I truly never let that bother me. I didn't mind the walk, honest. But it would just never occur to me to be within 3 blocks of where someone lives and not drop them off at their door. I, of course, would drop someone off at their door even if I were going to Tribeca and that person lived on the UES. I would never expect that of most people, but I would. Anyway, I'm rambling. And I'm not looking for someone to tell me that I'm a better person than this guy. It just really got me thinking.

Sort of to the contrary, Thursday night on my way home from work, I was on the subway. A little girl in my car puked all over the place. I could tell the story in detail, but I can't handle it. I hate puke. Like worse than anything else. The idea of it is just so revolting to me. As a kid, even when I had the same stomach virus as every kid in camp, I just wouldn't let myself puke because I can't stand the feeling. Don't like to do it myself, don't like when other people do it near me, just really really hate it (though I have been known to hold hair for puking girls despite my serious distaste for it - I'm really a good boyfriend, no matter what you might have heard). So I see (and hear) this little girl puking on the train, and all I'm thinking is how to get as far away as possible, as quick as possible. I was getting off at the next stop anyway, but that wasn't good enough. As I start edging toward the door, I see the woman who was sitting next to the girl at the time of the incident -- and whose shoes and leg undeniably got a bit splattered (if that had been me I swear I would have considered leaving my shoes, and my pants, on the train) -- reach for her bag. I thought she could only be thinking the same thing as me - "I do not know about you, but I am planning to scream and run" (name the movie). Instead, puke splattered shoes and all, she, without leaving her seat, reached into her bag and pulled out some napkins to hand to the little girl's mother. A couple of other people produced napkins or tissues also. I don't know why I was so impressed, but I was.

Totally unrelated - Fox has been getting some really amazing crowd shots at Fenway tonight. Even if you don't like the team, you have to love Red Sox fans. Tomorrow morning, I'm attending a training session for lawyers who want to volunteer to go to swing states on election day to monitor the polls and make sure they actually let people vote. It will be nice to feel like I'm doing something good with my law degree. 1 hour every 4 years ain't bad.

Ouch! Jo Dee Messina just messed up the words to God Bless America. Man, country music is never gonna get any respect.