Wednesday, November 03, 2004

The Day After

Have any of you seen it - the 1983 TV movie that I remember scaring the ever-loving shit out of 8-year-old LiAps?? Guess what folks? Today is not that day.

PLEASE don't get me wrong. I am horribly disappointed with the results of the election. Anybody who knows me could be under no misconception; I've said a million times that I am hard pressed to think of a human being I wouldn't have chosen over Bush to be president of this country. And I have some views that would be extremely unpopular with some of my more liberal democratic friends. I think the voters, like the bad guy in the Indiana Jones movie, chose . . . poooorly.

I am not looking forward to another 4 years of continuing erosion of civil liberties, economic preferences for those who need them least, and stupidity reigning supreme. I especially shudder at the effects that will likely live on for significantly longer than W's term as a result of the Supreme Court appointments W will inevitably be empowered to make as the current crop retire or drop. But I have to say, I am somewhat disheartened, and a little bit surprised, by the utter defeatism and naysaying and predictions of catastrophe coming from a lot of people -- friends, blogging companions and strangers.

Kerry lost. Democrats lost. But, apologies to Sloth, it is not a reason to hibernate, or to give up on the country as a whole. I have, historically, not been an intensely political person. I generally avoided getting into political discussions when possible, combined fear/self-consciousness based more on my self-perceived lesser knowledge of the issues than hesitance to express an unpopular opinion. (Though, how do you explain being a pro-choice, pro-death penalty, pro-gay rights, anti-affirmative action Democratish??)

This election was the first time I was motivated to participate in any meaningful way in the campaigning etc. etc. process. (I will post separately about my experience at the polls in Pennsylvania yesterday which was valuable to me, if likely useless to the world as a whole) I felt strongly enough about supporting Kerry (or, truth be told, opposing Bush), that I volunteered my time and services. I don't want a medal or any recognition, I'm just trying to make a point. The candidate who I supported, and who I truly believe would have made a better president, just didn't win. I will take some shit from my Republican friends. It's a lot more serious than taking shit when the Mets lose to the Braves. More was and is riding on this than a World Series trophy.

But they are not coming to get us. We are not going to be herded into ghettos and shipped off to concentration camps. It is not the end of the world. Though this country under Bush is not everything I wish it were, though I certainly do not agree with everything purportedly done in the name of the United States of America, though I sometimes hear the news and say "Jesus, you have got to be fucking kidding me!" it is not the end of the world.

It's borderline absurd, but I keep thinking of the post-9/11 mantra "The terrorists have won." You know, "If you don't fly to NY, see Les fucking Mis and buy the whole family $25 corned beef sandwiches at the Carnegie Deli (yes, Midwestern goys, they will make them on white bread with mayo for you), then the terrorists have won." Kerry conceding defeat in the election is one thing, but the people conceding defeat in their thoughts, feelings and beliefs is something altogether different, and unwarranted. If I were one of the AK-47 toting yokels who believed that we all just narrowly escaped the sure destruction of civilization as we know it that would have resulted from electing a baby-killing big government pol-ee-tishun from Taxachussetts, my smile might broaden just enough to expose one more black hole where a tooth should be at the thought of how resigned and flat devastated people seem to be.

I'm not on a "Fight the Power" mission here, I'm not advocating violent overthrow of the government. I'm not even saying people don't have the right to be upset. Maybe it was just that I didn't notice, or maybe the depression was overshadowed by righteous indignation and pissed-offedness 4 years ago, but this sense of doom and gloom feels different than anything I've ever experienced before. And it scares me about as much as anything Bush can do from the oval office.

Be upset. Pout. Have a few drinks. And then, tomorrow, believe what you believed before, believe it matters that you believe it, and feel free to keep calling W a moron.