Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Time Flies

I have been a fan of COPS for as long as the show has been on the air. I remember like it was yesterday the first season, where it was all Broward County, all the time. How heartbroken I was when deputy Linda Canada -- a hottie by any standards, but especially when you consider she was strapped -- married another deputy, whose name I believe was Mike something or other. While the wedding wasn't on air (Fox hadn't yet pioneered the "Who Wants to Marry a [fill in the blank]" concept), we did get to see Deputy Canada try on her wedding dress. She looked beautiful. [Side note here - I'm a bit disturbed that I was unable to find reference to the Linda Canada wedding in a few minutes of web searching. Does no one else think this was a noteworthy event?]

Anyway, I was watching an old episode yesterday, and -- are you sitting down? -- John Bunnell was a mere Sergeant with the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office (you MUST look at the "Faces of Meth" feature on this page. Awesome!). As you all know, he rose through the ranks to become Sheriff, for a grand total of 6 months, before realizing that he could make a lot more money hosting the ever-popular (and always airing on some channel somewhere) "World's Wildest Police Videos/Chases/Maulings/Rapes/Valedictory Addresses" franchise. It clearly paid off for Bunnell, as he has reached the pinnacle of fame, having had a drinking game dedicated to him.

But I digress. Often. My point was that this episode of COPS was from 1989. SIXTEEN YEARS AGO! I'm old. Really, really old.