Monday, April 25, 2005

Where are 4 out of 5 Dentists When You Need Them?

OK, here's the deal. Whatever geniuses designed the bathroom in my new apartment were clearly British. I have a pedestal sink . A minor issue I have with this results from the lack of undersink storage space; though I have a linen closet outside the bathroom, keeping the spare rolls of tp out there means that you all should start a pool on how long it'll be before I have to do the infamous pants-around-ankles waddle to get a new roll after already having sat down and released the hounds.

My bigger issue is this: between the sink and the medicine cabinet is a single glass shelf, presumably where one would keep all the things one normally keeps near the sink - soap, toothpaste, toothbrush. BUT, the shelf is placed at the perfect level so that there isn't enough vertical clearance for a toothbrush to sit in a toothbrush holder. Can't fit between sink and shelf, can't fit between shelf and medicine cabinet. No place to keep my toothbrush.

"But LiAps, can't you keep it on top of the toilet tank next to the sink?"
"No, I'm not keeping my toothbrush on the toilet. That's just nasty."

"But LiAps, don't they make some sort of horizontal toothbrush holder, which holds a toothbrush diagonally, with one end higher than the other to facilitate proper drying and prevent that nasty mold?"
"No, apparently they don't, as my trip to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and my Googling 'Horizontal Toothbrush Holder' have proven."

I've decided my only viable option is to get one of those suction cup-based toothbrush holders and mount it on the marble wall next to the sink. There are a couple of problems with that though. 1) If the toothbrush falls out of the holder, or the holder de-suctions and falls off the wall, toothbrush hits floor. If toothbrush hits floor, it doesn't go into LiAps's mouth again. I'd probably end up getting a new toothbrush weekly, and good toothbrushes are expensive. 2) All of these suction cup toothbrush holders are marketed as being for the express purpose of "sav[ing] time by brushing teeth in the shower!" I have long been of the opinion that shower brushing is so very wrong, and I do not wish to validate the concept by spending my money on a product designed for such an activity.

Suggestion box is open. I can only last so much longer with the toothbrush balanced precariously on the shelf so that the brush part overhangs the sink without allowing the part of the shaft that may come in contact with my teeth, gums, or tongue, to touch the glass.