Friday, January 14, 2005

And The Camel's Buried In A Big Straw Stack

I've been pretty damned irritable lately. It's torture knowing there's a light at the end of the tunnel jobwise (remember my one resolution - I'm outta here calendar 05), but at the same time knowing that the next 3 months are going to be hellish. Like the worst hell I've ever seen here. One of my cases is gearing up for trial (it's actually arbitration, but it's trial for all intents and purposes), and the partner I'm working for is a classic yeller. He is impossible to deal with when he's in a bad mood, and that is not infrequent. It is going to be a nightmare, and he is not shy about telling the entire team that's the case.

So I'm on the subway this morning, starting out antsy and high-strung, and everything is bothering me. People touching me, which is unavoidable on the subway, are just getting me crazy. Some woman kept poking me in the thigh with her soaking wet umbrella, and I could actually see the cartoon steam level rising in my head. I was so close to turning around and saying something to her. It undoubtedly would have sounded rude. And just as I about reached my breaking point, I realized that the song playing on my ipod at the time was Simon & Garfunkel's "Feelin' Groovy" (59th Street Bridge Song). The idea of me going off on some woman about her fucking umbrella poking me while Art Garfunkel was falsetto whisper/singing "Falalalalalalalalaaaaa" (or, according to the lyrics I linked to, "ba da da da" etc. etc.) in my ear was just so ridiculous, that instead of turning and saying, "Bi-Atch! You best watch yo wet ass umbrella fo' I hafta stick it up yo' ass!," I just laughed. Good thing the moment passed too, because the next song that came on was Da Lench Mob's "You and Your Heroes."

That coulda been ugly yo.