Saturday, June 04, 2005

Appointment With Death

Tomorrow morning, while I'm out on LI picking up a car so I can embark on my cross-country journey, my family is going to take my dog to the vet. To be put to sleep, put down, euthanised - call it what you want, it's the same thing. We have an 11:30 appointment. I am not going to be good at this.

He's old. Really old. 16 1/2. Which is like 115. And it's time. He hasn't been himself for a while - he pretty much either sleeps, paces, or just stands there staring at a wall (though it's debatable whether he can see it). He is clearly not really there; his quality of life is nil. But he's my dog, and no matter how long I've known this was coming, and how much I know it's the right thing to do, for his own sake, I'm not really ready.

Not gonna be a happy day. I'd post a picture of him if I had one on my computer or my camera. But I'm not gonna take one tomorrow, because he doesn't even look like himself anymore, and I'd rather remember him as the healthy, happy (if high maintenance) puppy that he was for so long.

Like I said, I'll try to keep you posted on some of my travels starting with the Vegas trip. Goodnight everyone.