Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Day 2, Part Deux


How Dumb Is America?
Originally uploaded by LiAps.

Had lunch at Arby's in York, NE. I really dig Arby's.

Stopped at the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument (pictured above). I had seen a bit on the Travel Channel about this place, and could NOT resist when I saw it appear on the horizon. Basically, what this is is a glorified rest stop spanning I-80 at Kearney, NE. It's billed as a tribute to the exploration and development of the West, yadda yadda. It's $10 for admission to the attraction (it's not really a museum, per se), but my AAA card got me a dollar off. Score. I was on the fence about whether to do it or not. There's an audio tour, and I asked how long it took. I wasn't pressed for time at all, but I didn't feel like spending too long there. They said it was one of those systems that had one audio portion per room and switched over automatically when you went from one to the other. They said, "you could spend 3 hours up there, but most people take about 45 minutes." I was in and out in about 8. Yes, I bought more souvenirs.