Thursday, July 22, 2004

Little Bitty Post

Thank you Alan Jackson

Saw something on the way to the subway this morning that made me laugh.  At 7:30 a.m., laughter is a good thing.  Walking past one of those fruit carts (ubiquitous on the streets of NYC for those unfamiliar, and they sometimes have much better product/produce than the fancy gourmet supermarkets), I saw a blind guy - cane, sunglasses and all - checking out a melon to see if it was ripe.  He was doing the whole knocking on it and listening thing.  I know that that's how you're supposed to determine ripeness, and in theory, visual clues aren't of much use.  But it still would have made a great picture.  I really wish I had the patience and time to carry a camera around with me 24/7.  I should get one of those really tiny digitals in addition to my huge fancy SLRs.  But I digress.  The scene only got funnier when the blind guy, apparently unsatisfied with the way the melon sounded, tried to put it back down on a part of the table that, well, wasn't there.  Fruit stand guy made a fantastic save.

To work, for the man.  Somebody come save me please.