Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Summer Reading

Inspired by a post at MandyLand, I thought I'd suggest a book I just finished.  Well, not just this minute.  Actually, sitting on the toilet before I left for work this morning.  Guess I can't return it to Brentano's.
It's called "Chump Change" by Dan Fante.  A really good character study of an alcoholic loser who gets released from rehab just in time to go to his father's funeral in LA (a place I'd have to be dead to be seen in ever again - I HATE LA).  Some disturbing imagery, sexual and related to the alcoholic character.  But it really kept me turning pages.  And I spend more time than the average person sitting on the toilet as it is.
I had never heard of the book or the author; picked it up off the really, really cheap books rack at Barnes & Noble - $3.98.  Somebody must have decided it wasn't worthy of the space it took up on the shelf.  I do believe that guy hit the screw on the head.  Word.